Sunday, May 6, 2012

history, weather, birds...

We were up in Alexandria, Minnesota for a wedding last weekend. On the way home we were driving on two lane highways. Went through several towns.
We stopped in Madelia. On the building was this painting.....

Something happened here, didn't know what.....so I went over to investigate.
Who were these guys and who are they shooting at???
I knew about Jesse James and the Younger brothers, but never really paid attention to what happened after Northfield.
(Every year they celebrate and re-enact the attempted bank robbery....The defeat of Jesse James!)
Madelia also has a yearly celebration....Capturing the Younger Brothers.
So I learned some history.
I called one of my sisters. I asked her what happened to Jesse James after Northfield.
She didn't know. So I had to investigate further when I got home.
I found out the gang had split up, so Jesse James wasn't here.

We are in a wet and stormy weather pattern.....
I was out taking pictures of the storm clouds rolling in. The town siren went off while I was out there.
Crap.
I had been playing with the camera. It was set for black&white for this one.
Better go in.
I took my camera, checkbook, computer, and the latest quilt I am working on down to the basement. Tractor joe never did come down. He gave me the all clear....
"The birds are back at the feeder, it must be safe now!"
So I hauled everything back up stairs. We ended up with about an inch of rain with this storm.

The birds are back.....

I spent a huge amount of time just bird watching yesterday.
I figured out what I was going to sew, but never did get any sewing done.
Hopefully next time there will be fabric involved in the post.




9 comments:

Karen H said...

is that the Indigo Bunting? And who is with him? I never knew that about the James/Younger gang, either. Have a great day!

Browndirtcottage said...

Intersting post! I didn't know you lived around some good history. Sometimes I need something else besides fabric/quilty stuff. I too spend an awful lot of time standing at my kitchen window watching the birds. I have robins, finches, western kingbirds, 3 variety of doves and ones I feed and wait patiently for are the quail. The drought we had last 2 years just about killed them all out, but I have had 2 pair sighted in this last week feeding along the garden fence. I can't wait till they have their babies and will bring the whole covey to feed. Sometimes that can be around 17 babies. One year I have 22 babies march right up the back steps and were standing right on my porch below my kitchen window. I was soooooo excited!!

Bird Watching 101...class dismissed

Vesuviusmama said...

Interesting! I'm dreaming of sewing right now, but I'm so wiped out that th e fought of getting off my bed to head down to my sewing room makes me feel ready for a nap.

floribunda said...

OMG -- those birds are beautiful! I'd love to see one "live" one of these days...

Carol E. said...

You were in my home town for a wedding! And drove past some of my relatives, sort of, when you were near Madelia! Thanks for the history lesson.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great post - great b&w photo!!

Mariella said...

I've seen a few Jesse James movies but they fill them with so much milarky that you never know what was true or false. Very interesting. I went to your link and now want to investigate further. I that the B&W photo was something for the way way back in time - great effect the B&W gives. Your are one heck of a photographer! I didn't think that those blue birds lived in the wild!! Really pretty. I'm located in an extremely urban area and we get very little wild life (except for vermin - oh which we have too much - and me living with 2 terriers and 2 felines). Anyway, enjoyed the post!!! BTW my husband was born in Minnesota....and we visited one time before we were married. Lots of cool barns and such, not to mention bank robber lore....

Clare said...

Great post. Love the B&W photo.

Browndirtcottage said...

Happy Mother's Day girlfriend!!!!