Sunday, September 22, 2013

finished tops...


Last Monday Karen and I went to our first EVER quilt guild meeting. They proclaim themselves to be laid back and with no rules. We enjoyed it very much. We paid our $5.00 dollar yearly dues and became official members of the Blue Earth Valley Quilters Guild. 
During the meeting there was some discussion on.... 
Girlfriend or Boyfriend quilts. In general, no one wants to make them.
What if they break up?? Are they the kiss of death to a couple?

Crispy has a girlfriend. Of course I want to give her a quilt...but you know she is
"only a girlfriend"
After thinking about it some more, I decided I will get this star top quilted and give it to her. It has been sitting in the closet for several years. I made it during the summer of 2010.
I think I even have some pink fabric for the back!
It is better to give it away to be used, instead of gathering dust in the closet. 


Big sewing day yesterday. I finished the scrappy trip quilt (no picture)

and the mini-me....


It is for my cousin Gwen's grandson. He was born a couple weeks ago. It has left over Block Lotto blocks from hers and a few more I made. I didn't use plaid for the new blocks. 


Instead of mother/daughter quilts, they are 
grandma/grandson quilts.

Block directions here....(hot-crossed-9-patch-block-tutorial)


9 comments:

Karen H said...

I think your star quilt is really pretty. I should take mine out and look at it again. Just for old times sake. :) I'm sure they will be thrilled with the baby quilt. It's really great, too!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I've listened to the boyfriend / girlfriend debates before. Bottom line for me is that if I (repeat, I) want to give a quilt, I will. If the vibe is less than "go for it" I will refrain. Not sure there can be a black/white rule on this one!

Love the grandma/grandson quilts!

Browndirtcottage said...

OH OH...I LOVE the star quilt!!! I think it is ok to give her the quilt. She has been around long enough and she will really dig it AND like Quiltdivajulie says, if YOU want to give it to her then go for it!! Afterall, it is just too darn cute to be laying up in the closet!!

Both quilts are fab!!

I'm anxious to hear about future guild meetings and how they go. It will be interesting!!

TLC said...

Good decision. Quilts should be handed out to be loved with no regrets. Great job MOM!

Mary said...

Love all the quilts. Can't wait to hear about the guild meetings. IT is always good to see show and tell. It is so inspiring.

Elaine M said...

Wow, $5, what a deal; it is $30 here. The Star quilt is wonderful, she is going to love it. The block lotto mini quilt looks great. Very clever to do the triangles with a built in border.

Carol E. said...

Beautiful quilts! Have fun at Blue Earth! Our dues are $24. Tomorrow I'm going to Europe!!! Hope to find a quilt shop or two.

Tanya said...

Good for you for wanting to give Crispy's girlfriend a quilt! I had a similar quandry this summer when my son and his girlfriend told me they'd broken up, after 5 years of being together! But they are still good friends and after asking my son (and I think that is important) he said he thought it a great idea that I make the ex-girlfriend a quilt. Because you know... I have loved her too. And had had hopes that someday there would be a wedding quilt to give them... She is still MY friend. She is keeping tabs on the progress by checking my blog.

Carol E. said...

So, did GF love the quilt?
I found a quilt shop in Munich!