Monday, September 26, 2011

3 different things


I didn't do any block lotto blocks this month. 
They required the sewing of curved seams!

I am not a big fan of curved seams. 

Its not that I have never done curves and didn't want to try them.....


I have, really.
I dug this out for proof that I have sewn curves. I just wasn't up to the challenge this month.

***********
An acreage right outside of town is being torn down. The elevator bought it and they are putting grain storage and weigh stations out there. The house will be torn down. The auction was this past weekend. 
We went because we wanted this....

It was in the breezeway between the house and garage. Tractor joe's brothers made this cupboard way back in 1987 for the owner, Lois. They went out to the barn and grabbed the wood as they needed it. They were told to lay off the sanding by Lois, she wanted it nice and rustic.
We were able to buy it from the person who bought the breezeway and garage. She wouldn't need the wall it was attached to, so we got at it from the outside.


Tractor joe (and me a little bit) took the bottom half of the wall out. If we couldn't free it from the inside, we would take the wall with it. 

Just about free! 

Once we got it out on the driveway, we went back through the house. There was the man who bought all the kitchen cupboards, he was taking those out. Someone else bought all the plumbing and they were busy ripping out that stuff.
The house was about 90 years old. There was really cute wallpaper in the closet of a bedroom upstairs...


And some that was NOT so cute in the hallway....


We spent the afternoon cleaning the garage out. 
UCK.
We still aren't done cleaning and straightening up in there....but it all looks so much better with the new cupboard in place.

***********

I have a new project to work on...
Crispy's friend, Jacob was over. I am not sure how we got on the subject,
 but I was showing him Tonya's book WORD PLAY Quilts
"These are cool!"
Then I showed him this halloween quilt by Tonya...(click here to see it)

He fell in love with it. 
"I want one like this! Only I want more Zombies!"

I gave him some graph paper, and he got busy drawing and coloring.


Is that a hand coming out of the dirt? He is missing an arm.
How do you spell the sound a Zombie makes?

Karen and I will be headed for Des Moines next Saturday. The Quilt Show is only one week away!!
Not even that!
She doesn't know it yet, but we will be on the look out for Zombie ideas!

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Gotta love a creative kid that wants to design a quilt! That will be one that would warm Tonya's heart. (both the kid and the quilt!) LOL Good Zombie hunting!

Tonya Ricucci said...

awesome kid!!!! woohoo, wants zombies AND designs it himself. Totally cool. that drawing will be really fun to interpret! that cupboard is gorgeous - glad you were able to snag it.

Ida from Central PA said...

I thought zombies said "Brains! Brains!" :) [They say that in the 'Return of the Living Dead' movie]

What about zombie jokes?


What is the difference between zombies and patched jeans?
Zombies are dead men, Jeans are mended.

When do zombies go to sleep?
When they are dead tired.

What do you call a one inch zombie?
Tomb Thumb

Where do you go when you want to buy a zombie?
To the Mon-Store

What do you call a zombie with lots of kids?
A MOM-ster

What kind of candy does a zombie refuse to eat?
Lifesavers

What do you call a zombie door-to-door salesman?
A dead-ringer

Where do zombies go swimming?
The Dead Sea

Where do most zombies live?
On dead-end streets

Why did the zombie go crazy?
Because he lost his mind.

Who does a zombie take out for dinner?
His ghoul-friend.

Where is the safest place in your house from a zombie?
The living room.

What does the zombie say during a wrestling match?
Do you want a piece of me???

What do you call a dead bumblebee?
A Zom-Bee

Whats a zombies favorite toy?
A deady bear.

Who won the zombie war?
Nobody, it was a dead tie.

What did the zombie’s friend say when he introduced him to his girlfriend?
Good grief! Where did you dig her up from?

Why did the zombie go to hospital?
He wanted to learn, a few sick jokes.

Where do zombies go for cruises?
The Deaditerranean.

What did the zombie get his medal for?
Deadication.

Ida from Central PA said...

Here's more info:

Zombies even in the US have only been saying "Brains" since the 1985 movie Return of the Living Dead. They've only been eating people since George Romero's 1968 Night of the Living Dead. Before 1968 zombies didn't try to attack people unless ordered by their controller (zombies were re-animated dead raised by some individual who had power over them) -- which they did do in some films. Until Return they didn't talk.



If you really want the aaaauuurrrgggghhh sound, ask him to spell it. ;)


Perhaps make it educational and write 'brains' in various languages? Spanish? French? German? Etc.

Browndirtcottage said...

...This is just TOOOOO funny!! I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall and heard this conversation and watched the design coming to life!!!

And OMG!!! I have an ole cabinet similar to this one only mine has old white peeling paint. I am using mine out in my greenhouse!! I LOVE mine and I LOVE yours too!! Great find!

Karen H said...

so many fun things! The cupboard looks really neat. I love your curved piecing. I don't think I've seen that one in person. And I can't wait to go looking for zombies!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I'm "designing" in my mind a Legos wall hanging for the grandson who is the ultimate Legos Man! The Zombie will be awesome...can't wait to see it.

roadtrip*treasures said...

I going to the quilt show for the first time on Friday.
Zombies...?
I need to get busy quilting.

Kim said...

So tell me...did you get in on the "flash mob" quilting video?
How was the show?

Love the cupboard and its history too.

Happy Sewing

Clare said...

Amazing story about the cupboard. It's gorgeous. Can't say the same about the wallpaper though!

Wooo with the quilt design. Love the hand sticking out of the ground.

Vesuviusmama said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Your curves, your cupboard and your son's plan for a quilt. Love it all!