We are back from a road trip. We wanted to go to Memphis, TN for a wedding and then out to Virginia Beach, VA to visit my sister. We also wanted...maybe I should say.... "I" wanted to find geocaches in as many states as possible.
Sometimes we were on the freeway, sometimes state highways.
First stop was a geocache at the house where the painting American Gothic was done.
The house still stands. We found out that you can also put on the costumes for a picture.
We did that. I am holding the GPS for logging this find.
We stopped in Hannibal, MO to see the birthplace of Mark Twain.
I love Alton Brown. We used to watch his cooking show ALL the time. I had his Feasting on Asphalt book along. We stopped in Chester IL just like he did in the book. It would have been better if we had opened cans of spinach to eat like he did, but we weren't that organized.
Went looking for a cache instead.
The wedding in Memphis was outside, in the woods near a pond, at noon. Yes, it was hot, but not unbearable. Inside where the reception was held, was a quilt. There were a couple more hanging, but this one was my favorite one.
We headed for Beale Street for supper, this is where we ate. We were with tractor joe's brothers and sisters and all the spouses. 10 of us all together.
The food was VERY good. We got a sample platter that had all kinds of different things on it.
Some pork, some chicken, some side dishes.
Before heading east early Sunday morning, we went by Graceland. We weren't that interested in seeing it....BUT...
They were opening the gate as we went by.
With no one around, it was easy to find parking.
It didn't cost anything to get up by the house or visit the graves.
We did a quick tour and then hit the road.
We stopped at the Corinth Civil War Battle Field Interpretive Center in Mississippi.
After going by the U.S. Space and Rocket Center and seeing what we could see from the road....
we wished we had made time for it. Don't know if we will ever make it back to Huntsville AL.
But if we do, we will definitely be stopping.
We drove into the corner of Georgia just to get a geocache there.
Then back up into Tennessee where we stopped.
On Monday...
We drove through North Carolina.
Beautiful
Then along the bottom of Virginia.
We arrived at my sister's in time for supper on Monday night.
Next time...Virginia Beach stuff.
10 comments:
You were in MY town - Memphis!
fun. love that American Gothic pic and the one with Alton's book. He's got a new show coming on, Cutthroat Kitchen, but I think he's just hosting it unfortunately. I follow him on FB and he's been giving hints - possibly about some more Good Eats. sure hope so!
You really know how to have fun! Next time go to space camp!
Thanks for taking me along on you're trip via pictures!
It looks like a fun trip! Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures.
Sounds like a busy, fun trip so far! Have a blast.
What? Every time you post I miss it somehow??? You keep sneaking them in on me!!!
Looks like a lot of things going on your little trip!! I've been to Graceland too!! The inside of the house isn't as large as you think it would be.
So glad you reached a geocache milestone!!
Wow, you covered a lot of miles!! Looks like you had lots of fun. Love the Am. Gothic photo!
What - you didn't go to Texas to see Mrs. Brown Dirt??
Looks like you made the most of that trip!! How many geocaches total did you get while on the trip?
I love that quilt that you photographed at the reception. New York Beauties/Mariners Compass are one of my passions.
Are you teaching summer school? or attending?
Fun trip!! so much stuff crammed in! Did you meet Beth at American Gothic house? She sells pies there every weekend... do you read her blog? The World Needs More Pie. some day I'm going there for one of her pies.
Post a Comment