Sunday, September 28, 2014

where did September go?


WAY back in August the Blue Earth Valley Quilters had their quilt show. Friday night was a Jelly Roll Derby. Those participating brought a jelly roll to use, along with 2 1/2 inch squares for inserting between strips. I finished somewhere in the middle. 
Karen finished first! 
I bought mine from Connecting Threads. It contained 27 strips, so I bought two. For the derby I used 40 of them. I wondered what to do with the rest of them. I could make this or that....
In the end I just made another long strip with them and added it to the top, then the bottom to use it all up. And now this is ready for the quilter!


This is as big as my Celtic Solstice is going to get. I started hating my colors, and I wanted these cleared out before the next Bonnie Hunter Mystery.
Using what I had, I started putting things together in different ways, just to use them up.


This one used up a lot of the border sections. They are in the sashing instead. Another future baby quilt or tablecloth. And then there were still left over sections....


Table toppers or dresser scarves. 
Now I am ready to THINK about doing another mystery.


When Crispy was packing for school, this quilt was on the pile. I asked why he wanted to take that ratty old thing. 
"It's my favorite!" 
Really?? 
Uck. Let me fix it first.
 I chopped off the old binding and added the new darker blue that is in the picture. There are some weak spot in the top, but this should give it new life for a while.
It was made back in the 90's.
I don't have a picture of what it looks like. It is a County Threads pattern of a big star. I didn't have the pattern, but I was able to figure out the math and put it together one snowy afternoon.
I'll work on getting a picture.








9 comments:

julieQ said...

You now what...I love that older quilt too!! It would be my favorite too! So good for Crispy...and I know he will love the new binding!

Carol E. said...

Glad you're back posting again! I love the blue/orange/yellowy dresser scarf thingy you made from leftovers. Next time Blue Earth does something, clue me in. My relies live nearby. Maybe I'll attend.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I totally get what you did with Celtic Solstice. My Tobacco Roads turned into Dandelion Detour . . . sometimes the big quilt just isn't meant to be.

GOOD for your son, BTW!

TLC said...

I love what you did with your Celtic Solstice. It's hard to believe that it's almost mystery time again.

Karen H said...

Great job on dissecting the Celtic solstice. I need to finish mine. Not sure if it's getting borders. I'm trying to picture Chris' quilt. I guess I'll just have to wait for the picture. And I love your jelly roll quilt!

Tonya Ricucci said...

love that jelly roll quilt. need to get you started on making orphan block quilts - those extra blocks would be great in something like that....

Brenda said...

I really like that second quilt -- the baby sized one-- it has more room to breathe than the original design, and the stars really shine. Great repurposing!

Browndirtcottage said...

WOW, I'm crazy over that jelly role quilt….cool!!

I don't know why you don't like your colors on the Celtic quilt. I like 'em. So Vibrant!! Maybe that was the deal, too vibrant for a w-h-o-l-e top, but breaking them down like you did you will probable enjoy the blocks much better.

What a good mom you are to repair Crispy's old but beloved quilt. I would hold it over his head and keep reminding him he owes you!!! LOL

Unknown said...

I love the two "scarf" pieces. The top is a great sashing idea and I've pinned it in my "Border Ideas" on Pinterest.

Love your Celtic Solstice. I could look at it all day, just seeing how you did it. Awesome.

I, too, am glad you're posting again.
Marsha