Saturday, October 11, 2014

AQS des moines quilt show last week...

Last week at this time I was in the shower getting ready to head down to Des Moines for the quilt show with Karen. We were trying to figure out how many years we have been doing this.
We still don't know, but several for sure.
This year we were in search of two special quilts.




And this one by Julie http://quiltdivajulie.blogspot.com/




The chains keep you from getting too close, but that doesn't mean I didn't lean over a bit and take a closer look at things. It was really cool to see both of these in person.
You see them on their blogs and all, but it really is true...that pictures don't do a quilt justice.
In person is so much better!
I was so happy when I learned that both of these would be in Des Moines!


It was fun watching people stand there and stare
and smile
and put there heads together to talk
 and point out this or that on the quilt.

I used my tea towel challenge bag as planned. I decided to join the AQS this year.
So my bag was heavy right from the start. I got a free (out of print) book, one of last years magazines, a catalog and show book. My bag got heavy right at the door.

As I meandered through one of the booths and out of it I could 'feel' this body moving with me. If I turned, it turned. 
Who is following me? It turned out to be the shop owner. The bag caught her eye and she needed to get a closer look at it! So as best I could I filled her in on the why and how this bag came to be.
It was made during the tea towel challenge last winter.

Now today I am off to meet my cousin Max at The Quilted Forest in Forest City.
I will also stop and mail my block lotto blocks from September.


Three were worthy of entering, the first one ended up being a disaster.
Not sure what went wrong with that one! 
I have Octobers done, just not pressed or pictured yet.









8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

THANKS, Julie . . . so fun to see the quilts as they travel around from show to show . . . And I love seeing my blogging friends WITH See Rock City!

Karen H said...

It was a fun day. I am already looking forward to next year's quilt show. I hope I've used the patterns I bought before then! :)

Millie said...

Thanks Julie! It's good to see you with my quilt, and nice to hear how the quilt was received at the show. I tell folks all the time that photos don't do artwork justice, that you HAVE to see them in person. Glad you enjoyed The Black Box!

Tonya Ricucci said...

fun

Bonnie said...

I have gone several years, but couldn't make it this year. Looks like I missed some fun. Hopefully next year.

Browndirtcottage said...

What fun to see their quilts up close, live and in person!!
I was laughing at your bag stalker!!!

And what the heck happened to that one block lotto block???!! LOL

Carol E. said...

I agree... so much better in person! I tried to get a photo of people admiring See Rock City, but they moved at the wrong time, and I got blurry heads.

Sharon said...

How cool that you got to see both Rock City and Black Box in person! I'm sure they were amazing. Now I'm jealous. I don't think they're coming anywhere near me.

How funny about your "bag stalker"!

That Lotto block looked too tough for me to tackle, even if I'd had the time (which I didn't). I did get two made for this month, but not posted yet.