Wednesday, January 7, 2015

the chickens are free....


The mystery is almost a top. It lost its checkered sashing and it will get a plain border.
After I did this I worried and seconded guessed myself.
Did I tone it down too much?
Maybe I shouldn't have done that....
to late, it is done.

But!

(this is the part that makes my heart sing)


I did find a place to use the checkered sashing.
In 2008 I made 16 chickens.
The pattern had them sewn together, but I wanted something more.
I never knew what that was though.
So they sat in a drawer for a long time waiting.

I absolutely fell in love when I put them with the orphaned checkered sashing strips.

The chickens will finally be free!


I have 16 chickens that need to be squared up to 12 1/2 inches.
I'll use black for the cornerstones.
It is a match made in heaven.

This months Block Lotto blocks are pretty cool.
I made 6 of them.


School started back up Monday. We got out early because of snow.
Then, there was a late start on Tuesday morning and today it is brutally cold,
so there is no school.

And I am sewing while I have the chance!





15 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your mystery quilt is the prettiest I have seen!!!! The sashing makes such a wonderful difference - and the chickens !! Oh, my .... 😀😃😃😀

Kathy S. said...

Your Grand Illusion quilt looks AMAZING!!! I loved the way you toned it down. Mine is waaaaay out there (color wise.) I think I used too many different greens and too many different pinks. I LOVE the way yours makes the little yellow blocks look like a square! Great idea!

The checks look great with your chickens!!! Adorable. Glad the chickens are now free!

Your Block Lotto blocks are great too. I still need to do those for this month.

Great progress you are making! Keep up the good work.

Elaine M said...

It's nice how your mystery quilt turned into two. The sashing shows off the blocks. Love your chickens, the checkered sashing was always meant to be. Happy New Year!

Megan said...

The chequerboard sashing on those chickens is sensational.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Sharon said...

Thanks for the Big O blocks! I received them yesterday - and they were the first ones I got! They look great!

I like the way the sashing looks with the mystery quilt. I think it calms the quilt down and showcases all that work on the blocks. And how super that the checkered sashing works with your fun chickens! Be free, little chickens! *grin*

I really like the Lotto blocks this month. I've done two and hope to do more before the month is out.

Karen H said...

Your Grand Illusion is looking great! Another wedding gift quilt? Love the chickens - that will be a cute quilt. And the block lotto blocks are great, too. I need to make some of those!

TLC said...

Fabulous. Glad you posted, because I have been contemplating plain sashing and cornerstones to tone down the business. Great decision. Free the caged chickens!

Brenda said...

Great solutions for both quilts. I too have been overwhelmed by the busy-ness of that mystery quilt I've seen online.

Browndirtcottage said...

How Marvy your mystery quilt turned out,,,,sashing was a great idea for toning it down!!
A-n-d the little chickies will enjoy those leftover checkered sashings!! I have always LOVED that chicken pattern. How wonderful to have another finish that started with the mystery quilt!

I should make some 9 patches for the Lotto too. I have TONS of black & white prints.

Ginny said...

I'm so glad I checked your blog. I am worried about how busy the mystery is, and was thinking of trying to tone it down too. I love what you've done both quilts.

QuilterinMotion said...

Hi there!
I like all three of your WIPs very much. The checkerboards are so perfect for the chickies and your mystery quilt needs nothing else.
Black and white lotto blocks....cool!

Glinda ♥ said...

Great work on both! My SIL has three rescue chickens ... thinking I may have to borrow that pattern and free some chickens myself!

Carol E. said...

I love it all! The sashing with the chickens is PERFECT. You are so clever. I still want to be you when I grow up.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I also love the checkered sashing with the chickens. Great work.

Kathleen said...

YES... the GI looks much better with some calm elements - I often calm down Bonnie's quilts and then love them to death...

and the chickens look fabulous with the checks...

Well done !