Monday, August 17, 2015

my own little dear photograph.....


Link >>> Dear Photograph

This is a photo of tractor joe's grandparents. Back in the 1960's, they retired from farming. They built a house in town. As the family grew, grandpa built a huge table for the basement. That is where people ate for large family gatherings. 
They passed away in the 1980's. Their youngest daughter lived with them. She continued having Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings and everyone, or mostly everyone, ate in the basement at the huge table.
Last year Aunt Amanda moved to assisted living. It was decided that the house and contents would be sold in an auction. Saturday was the day. Tractor joe went to the auction while I was up in Blue Earth at the quilt show. This table did not sell. The cousins stood around and wondered what to do with it. They talked about just throwing it away. Tractor joe couldn't see that happening and brought it home. 
When our middle son came over he fell in love with it. He could see his friends gathering around it to play cards and games.  He wondered if it could be refinished. Probably, we thought. I sanded the top yesterday while it was still sitting on our back patio. 
There was also a book of old photos that was destined to be thrown away. Not so fast, and tractor joe brought that home too. In it were pictures of the table and his grandparents.
As I sat and admired how it looked all sanded smooth again, the idea for the dear photograph popped in to my head.
I have all kinds of quilt show photos, but I will save them for another day.

11 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I did not know about Dear Photograph - how entirely cool!

So glad that the table and the photographs did not go into the trash . . .

Tanya said...

How nice that you rescued the table and album! The grandparents would be pleased.

Sharon said...

How great to end up with both the table and photographs! I love that your son fell in love with the table and you're re-doing it for him. That's cool!

I had never heard of Dear Photograph before. That's a wonderful idea.

I love old family photos. I currently have a box-full that I'm supposed to be scanning into the computer. I got started, then stalled. There are still 2 more drawers of photos to go thru in my Mom's things. I have to guess who, what and where on some of them that were taken "before my time".

stitchinpenny said...

My daughter has begun a shared site with family photos from the 1906 time frame to now. Thousands of photos and not one as cool as that picture. As our family sees the site lots of old albums and pictures long stored inboxes are added to the site, but still nine as cool as yours. Thanks for sharing.

TLC said...

What a treasure!

Ann said...

What lovely mementos of your family. My parents had a trestle table built for our family and the craftsman carved his name, my dad's and the date on the bottom with an electric tool. I think Tractor Joe should engrave some family memories on the underside of this one, too.

Karen H said...

I love that we saw that table in those old photos. How fun. I want to see it when Mike is done refinishing it. (or whatever he is going to do with it!)

Brenda said...

Great that your son can continue the tradition of gathering people around the table.

Carol E. said...

That's definitely a dear photograph. I took one a few years ago but didn't put it in the official place. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Mary said...

What a wonderful memory. Good for Tractor Joe bringing it home. Personally, I hate to see things thrown away that have emories linked to them. Probably, why I have so much "stuff" in my house. Sentimental is good! I am sure you will enjoy having the table be used again.

Browndirtcottage said...

OH! OH! I LOVE that table! I'm so glad someone wanted it!!