I went on my first retreat ever in October.
It was pretty nice for sewing. I got a lot done.
There was lots of room to spread out for cutting and sewing and pressing. I worked on my row by rows. I haven't worked on these since. I pulled them out one Saturday, looked everything over, but was overwhelmed by it all. I didn't know where to start back up. It sat out all day and I ended up packing it all back up.
There were 10 of us. Some were sewing, some were scrap booking and my mom was knitting.
She was making mittens. But she kept telling everyone that came down to the kitchen that she was making warmers for a certain male body part!
Really Mom?!
Fast forward.....
I sew at a machine behind the sofa. It is a 1948 Singer. I like sewing here, right next to the kitchen. I can easily go back and forth when cooking. Not that I cook that much, but it is handy.
I was finally putting on some binding for a Christmas gift. There was pressure to get it done and close up the machine. A lot of work was going on behind that wall.
We are taking out the door in the kitchen so a new "front" door was needed. The door in the kitchen was rarely used and this one will probably get the same amount of traffic.
I closed up the machine and they started cutting out the wall. And then they hauled the cut section outside through the.....
new front door! The space! The light! It was all so wonderful!
I asked them to put an outlet in there.
Because....
Well, you never know.
But just in case....
I wanted to put the ironing board in there if I am sewing a lot.
Tractor joe just shook his head.
I made this some time ago. I'm not sure I have ever shown it.
The strips are 1 1/4 cut.
I wanted to show the quilt that was getting its binding at the last minute, but now I can't find it.
I found this one and can say.....
Merry Christmas to all of you!
My pictures are all so disorganized. I'm going to go see what else I can blog about!

7 comments:
Yay! You did a post! Good for you, and thanks!
I love your LAKE row quilt. It looks great! Your little mini is cute. How big did it end up?
Isn't a quilt retreat fun? It's fun to sew with other people, and the room/space is usually better than at home. Your mom cracks me up!
Wow, what a difference now! A whole lot of light and open-ness in "your quilt studio". hahaha! How wonderful! And of course you need room for the ironing board.
I love my quilting retreats! We can crank out the projects there, and you are in the same camp we are! (Proverbially. Our retreat is on the Potomac River at Algonkian Regional Park. Great cabins! "Rustic" because they don't have a dishwasher...)
Your Row by Row is wonderful! None of my circle has finished them, though quite a few have picked up the patterns. I did see one at our LQS that was done, and the quilter decided to use soft, wavy lines across the quilt. It reminded her of wind, and it was easy.
And I am so impressed that you thought of the outlet for the ironing board! And if you don't have an outdoor outlet, this will come in handy for any electrical equipment that Tractor Joe wants to use outside that door!
Enjoy your new sewing light! It will help with piecing those 1.25" logs. (Beautiful quilt!)
LOL…that first photo looks like you are a little kid….in trouble…..sitting in the corner! I think your Row quilt is one of the cutest I've seen…….and hey, do you think your mom could teach me how to stitch up
some of those "warmer?" ha ha w-a-y too funny!
Of course I LOVE construction….knocking out walls…..sheet rock…..oh yes! A-N-D extra plug ins!
merry christmas, happy new year and yay for the extra sunlight house remodel.
I finally remember to check your blog. Great job! Love your row by row...... it's going to be an awesome quilt. The retreat was fun, maybe we need to be booking another one. I need to get over and see your entryway. It looks so nice and roomy!
Your row by row looks great. Love the bears. Perfect space for the ironing board and love all the light from the remodel. Stressful with holidays and remodel going on at the same time but will be great when done. Maybe plan for a Spring Retreat, Happy New Year!
Great to hear from you again! I love the rows you have done so far.. wish I had participated in that. I kind of didn't get the full idea... maybe next time.
Now that you've blogged, maybe you can blog again some time soon. :-)
Post a Comment