The William A. Irvin t-shirt quilt. This race is held every year during Grandmas Marathon weekend. My sister, Jill, has run this several times.
She likes to run.
Her husband Jon tried running several years ago to see what the thrill was.
He never could find the thrill.
So, instead, he worked behind the scenes. For 18 years he has been involved in the set-up and take down of The 5K William A. Irvin Run which is held the night before the marathon.
The William A. Irvin is now a floating museum up in Duluth.
This year, Jon was to receive an award for his many years of service. Jill wanted him to have a quilt too, she secretly collected the 18 t-shirts from every race. It took her a while, but she did it.
I am not a big fan of t-shirt quilts. I made one years ago. It went okay...but I thought I would never ever make another one. I didn't even have the pattern anymore, I had given it to my nieces so they could make their own t-shirt quilts.
But, here I was making a t-shirt quilt.
I looked at Karen's wonky t-shirt quilt (HERE)....and this one (HERE) and got verbal directions from her. I jumped in and started making the rows.
I wanted it 4x5 shirts....only had 18, so I used the backs from some. Inspector Kitty, sitting on a backs-block, said the first row looks good and I should carry on.
I kept adding filler fabrics to the blocks and before I knew it, I was done.
It was machine quilted.
When I brought it home, I laid it on a chair. Ozzy jumped on it, and declared it quite cozy and comfy.
I added random fabrics for the border.
Except for some words that were added using the nautical flag alphabet.....
It has his name Jon and his last name.
The words run and race.
....and the word Duluth.
Here is what it looks like all together.....
and you know what?...it wasn't that bad, I may even make another one some day.
12 comments:
I made one tshirt quilt and hated it, but in my defense it was king sized and I had to do a quilt as you go method except for the drop on all sides. If mine had looked like yous, I might have done more. You did a beautiful job and the addition of the flag alphabet is so special.
This is FANTASTIC!!! I was wondering when you were going to share your secret project with us!
This is just w-a-y cute!
W-a-y cute!
W-a-y cute!
Even though the theme doesn' have anything to do with me I would still TAKE IT!!!
Oops, I can't type this morning! I meant 'doesn't' have anything to do with me.
I went over and had a look at Karen's and I've been looking at yours again.
You gals are soooo brave to take on those ole stretchy T shirts!
Oh yey....I'm running to Walmart this morning.....do you need anything??
Great job!. T-shirt quilts are a challenge, and you did a super job!!
Wow, what a great T-shirt quilt! And I LOVE what you did in the border. That's just brilliant! And fun too. Great job!
I think T-shirt quilts are probably easier to do "free-hand" than following a pattern. I made one that was actually the back of a quilt and it wasn't too bad. Using a very light interfacing sure makes it easier.
Another one here to say - What a fantastic quilt you've made!! Well done you.....Be proud. :0)
This is the first T-shirt quilt I have been impressed with. Usually they are very sentimental, but don't really appeal to me as a quilt. You have really put together an outstanding quilt. I'm sure the recipient will love it always.
It turned out great, I'm sure it will given a place of honor in their home. Are you ready to start the next one?!! :)
I think it is amazing! I love symbolic yet useful gifts. Bravo!
As always your quilts turn out awesome.
I have thought about making a t-shirt quilt, maybe someday.
Now that has to be the perfect gift for an event with an official t-shirt every year!
He'll be thrilled with it, not to mention his secret messages.
T-errific!
Happy Sewing
That is such a cool quilt! I love the filler blocks and borders that you added. My sister-in-law has suggested many times that I might like to make her a t-shirt quilt with her old t-shirts but I haven't been inspired... Until now! If she asks me again this year I'll be checking your blog again for ideas!
Post a Comment