Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Christmas vacation sewing....

Some of my blocks from the Easy Street Mystery by Bonnie Hunter
I was playing with them wondering how they would be laid out.


January blocks at BLOCK LOTTO were sewn up way back on Christmas Eve.


My strip pile was growing. So I did about 20 more of these blocks. The plan right now is to group them in fours with sashing, then sew those blocks together with sashing.
It is an ongoing project that could take a long time to complete.

Yesterday the mystery was revealed. I laid out by pieces to see what it would look like.


I am not even sure if these are laid right. But it gives a good idea.
I need to go back and check.

I used what I had. 
I did go get more black and whites.
There are things I would have done differently,
like...... using darker blues.
It is what it is.
My last day of not going to work....I plan on sewing these. But first I need to go check and make sure I am doing them correctly.
These blocks are way more complicated to sew together than I thought. The seam ripper was out yesterday. I love these blocks, just not sure on my colors.


13 comments:

berylthepearl said...

I feel the same as you do regarding the colors, wish I hadn't gone scrappy or stuck to darker colors. But I will keep on putting them together and trust Bonnie, I've made all her mysteries and love them all! Good luck

TLC said...

Your blocks look great. I think we're all our worst critics. My thought was that I wish I had picked darker purples. :-) Your string quilt blocks are motivating me to use up my bin of scraps. Still haven't touched them. Before Bonnie, I gave them all away. Now I'm a hoarder! Happy New Year! Enjoy your last day of VACA!

Mary said...

Yours are looking good. I think the colors look fine, I was up todate until the 7th step. Time to get moving on it. Now I am curious to see how mine will look!

YankeeQuilter said...

There is a point in every quilt I make that I am unhappy with it...it passes 98% of the time! I like the gold color in your easy street...I haven't laid out a block yet...maybe later today. I'm still sewing together those corner pieces!

Elaine M said...

Happy sewing today! You have been busy this vacation. Easy St. looks good. I like the gold/orange pop against your B&Ws. I think your quilt will be very happy and full of sunshine. Lovely strings.

julieQ said...

Oh, loving your easy street here!! And I too am making a string quilt...again...love that too!! Happy New Year!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Keep going - I like your blocks!

Re: things we'd do differently - I'm with you on that! But, we knew about not knowing going in so we can't grumble too much.

Love the strings -- I need to get busy with mine!

Carol E. said...

I have just about given up on mysteries because of those value issues. My guild is doing a mystery, and I just didn't have the heart for it. For one thing, I don't need or want to start another new project. For another, I might end up with a project over which I would say "I wish I had known such and such." I hope you love yours when it's done. It looks really pretty so far. Back at work? Hope it went well.

Vesuviusmama said...

It all looks great! Make more tall shoo flys, though - I want to win lots of blocks this month! :)

Karen H said...

You got a lot accomplished on your vacation. Easy street is looking good! :)

antique quilter said...

great blocks, I really like that last block.
I need to make a string quilt, hmmm wonder if it would make a dent in my scrap basket?
Kathie

Browndirtcottage said...

Looks like a pretty productive holiday vacation! I had mixed emotions on the colors in this mystery quilt and drug my feet and drug my feet until I realized I probable wasn't going to do it anytime soon. I do like the design of it, but maybe different colors for me though.
I'm with YankeeQuilter. With every quilt I do, at some time or another during the process I too decide I don't like it and start 'knit picking' it to death. But I get over it and 'the hate' for it passes!

Niftyneato is the word for your little strippy scrap blocks. They are time consuming though aren't they? Ohhhhh but well worth the time and effort!

Sharon said...

So, do you have Easy Street put together yet? Do you love it? I love your colors! I love the blue you used - it really pops with that orangy-gold. I think your quilt will be bright and happy!

Your BL blocks look good. Don't know that I'm doing it this month. Not too motivated right now.

Your string blocks look good. I need to do more of those - the bin is getting full again.