Thursday, July 11, 2013

consumed by Captain A-moo-ica....


I have been working away on a cow quilt. It will go to my sister for her 50th birthday. She wasn't to concerned about what kind of quilt she would get. But her husband had a request....
he wanted me to use the Federal Shield design in it. 
I wasn't really crazy about the idea of working with curves.
So, I thought about it.
For months.

Then this spring I was looking through the book,
OUT OF THE BOX 
with easy blocks 
by Mary Lou Weidman and Melanie Bautista McFarland

I love the cow in that book and thought I might make one for a baby quilt.
I never got any further than thinking about it.

But one day it occurs to me, why not make my sister a cow with the federal shield on it?? I would only need to make one shield! That made me happy.



While driving to the dentist with Crispy, I was talking about this cow.
How it would have the shield on it's body.
Then he says, "Ya, and you can call him Captain A-moo-ica!"
When he said that, there was no stopping me.
It was perfect. My brother-in-law loves super heroes too.


The background is made by sewing strips of different widths together,
cut apart in more different widths and sewn back together.
I ended up with patchwork fat quarters.



He needed a cape, so I added that too.


The blue flying geese are there to transition from the yellow background to a green background.


The words have a green background. They will be along the bottom of the quilt.
It is all coming together.


These stars are from the Buggy Barn book, Certifiably Crazy.
I didn't make them as scrappy as the book directions.
I want the blue background ones for my border and the white ones even have a home!

Crispy had a cavity that day at the dentist. I was so excited, 
"I can come back here with you!"
"But mom, you don't have to come with."
Yes, I know, moms generally don't need to go with their 19 year old to the dentist.
BUT 
It is right across the street from the quilt shop! Of course I am going with if it means I can run into The Quilted Forest! I want a few more medium greens to add to the cow quilt!








19 comments:

carla said...

Hi!!!! This is so cute!! I love it!!!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your Cow quilt is going to be fantastic. Be sure and send a picture to Mary Lou because I know she will love it too. These cow quilts are so fun to make and you have come up with an amazing idea! Great job. Looking forward to seeing it when finished.

Browndirtcottage said...

I am soooo excited to see this finished! Your brother in law is going to be AMAZED and SPEECHLESS I'm sure.

Great idea from the ole Crispy dude. I guess that college education is paying off!

I hope you are hard at it today, getting closer to getting this finished.

My day has been a total wash so far. I had to go be the good farm wife and help move all the wheat harvest equipment back to it's parking places until it is needed again.....uh, like sunflower harvest!

Ginny said...

Fantastic! It's gonna be great!

Karen H said...

I love this! The cow is so cute.... and HER cape is so pretty!

Millie said...

LOVE the cow! Another awesome quilt!

Elaine M said...

Another great project from you full of smiles. Millie is right, awesome quilt. I've enjoyed your post the last week, great trip with pictures and love the bird quilt.

Mary said...

Oh my, what a wonderful wonderful idea. It is so cool!!! Captian Amoorica Too cute. Great job

TexPat said...

Completely adorable!! Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

GO GO GO -- this is awesome!!!!!

Carol E. said...

You crack me up. I LOVE your cow!! This quilt is amooozing.

And the funniest part is that you were excited that Son has a cavity!

Kara Kwilts said...

I can hardly wait to see the finished pictures! I would love to buy a pattern of this.

Keep up the good work!

Kara Krantz

Tonya Ricucci said...

this is a HOOT! you are fab!

Mariella said...

Oh Julie,
This is just great great fun!! I want to come visit you and take classes!!! LOL the cow is wonderful and the whole idea of "Capt. A Moo ica" makes any day brighter!! Lucky Sis!!

Mariella

Glinda ♥ said...

Delightful, Julie! How very clever of you. Hope you made some nice purchases :)

Unknown said...

Love it; what a clever boy Crispy is! In Vermont we love our cows, and your cow just stands right out as Moo nificant!

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in your house!!!
Hugs, Marsha

Cher said...

I am in love with this idea...I too loved that cow from MaryLou...what terrific fun! your sister is one very lucky birthday "girl"!!! just love all the elements and look forward to seeing the done quilt.

Chris said...

I cannot wait to see the completed quilt! You are so creative. It's already awesome.

Vesuviusmama said...

Using the flying geese to transition from one background to another is genius!