Saturday, July 27, 2013

the cow quilt is a top.....


The center is 59x70 at this point. I needed to add 2 more inches to make it easier to cut the border. I wanted to use the American flag and needed red and white squares on the length.
72 divided by 9 equals 8!
A nice even number! All squares could then be cut at 8 1/2 inches. 
I saw this border on a quilt in American Patchwork and Quilting. I don't remember how long ago or which month it was. It just stuck with me, and thought I would use it someday.
Today was the day.

The big question was...
Do I add 2 inches to the background OR a one inch border all around.
I consulted with browndirt cottage
They both said, "do the skinny border"

I agreed, it did look better.


It ended up being a nice big quilt. I took it outside for a photo. The shade was too dark, the sun so bright. I couldn't get over it for a better shot. I was standing on a chair with the camera over my head. See my shadow?
When it is back from the quilter, I will hang it on a building for a better picture of it.

here is the link to get the book that has the cow pattern,
Out of the Box with Easy Blocks!!!

I have started a new project. Another scrappy trip around the world....


12 comments:

Brenda said...

fun, and right choice with the inner border.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous!!!

I LOVE IT!

Browndirtcottage said...

It's CUTE!!!

It's FABULOUS!

It's SOOOO SUPER HERO CHIC!!!

I have BOVINE LOVE!!

I have NOTIONS.....to STEAL IT!!!!

Karen H said...

I love it - I love everything about it! I'm going to steal your scrappy background idea..... :)

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love your quilt! I love the scrappy backgrounds and the hearts and the hoochy flowers and the border is terrific. I can't say enough good things about this quilt. Fantastic!

Elaine M said...

Love it. It's Moovelous! Yes, it can come visit me at my house.

Mary said...

This is positively wonderful. You did a great job on it.

Millie said...

Julie, this is GRAND! How tall are your letters? Do you have a straight-on shot so I can show my students in 3 weeks?








TLC said...

So Fun!

Carol E. said...

I love it! You're an artist!

Unknown said...

Love it!!! It's priceless!

Vesuviusmama said...

What a fun quilt!