My cousin Gwen started a quilt this past summer. Actually TWO quilts. One for her son and one for his friend. Her idea was to use all these boy scout words.
She went out and bought Tonya's Word Play book and studied that.
She quizzed me about making letters.
And then she started cutting and sewing.
She didn't stop until she had all these words!
She flew in from New Mexico for the weekend and brought all the words for one of the quilts.
We laid it out on the motel room floor. So the lighting isn't very good. It is actually brighter in real life. The background is whiter and the words are red, blue, brown and black.
Gwen is at the filler stage.
Her husband wants her to make some fluer-de-lis emblems.
She thought pine trees in the gaps.
I thought stars, so she has a few of those from me.
We thought maybe a few American flags here and there.
She would like to add gold/yellow but isn't sure how. My mom says yellow stars mean a fallen soldier. So she threw that idea out.
I just had a thought....what if the background of the stars were the gold and not the stars themselves.
What else? What are we not thinking of?
14 comments:
Being the mom of two Eagle scouts - I think this quilt idea is awesome.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the trees idea - Scouts spend a lot of time outdoors (Appalachian Trail, Philmont, and lots of other excellent places like Northern Tier in the Boundary Waters).
Hiking (boots, backpacks, walking sticks), swimming, canoeing, campfires, dutch ovens and iron skillets . . .
What about red/white/blue stars - if you need to add them to the mix?
Sorry, I can't help with ideas for things to add. But I have to say - this is going to be an awesome quilt! Good job by your cousin!
I'm sure you were an inspiration to her. ;)
OUTSTANDING! Love Gwen's words and her plan. I agree with Julie, lots of pine trees. I'd also encourage her to check out some novelty fabrics. She doesn't necessarily have to create canoes or campfires, etc. She can include fussy-cut images wherever there is space.
Well, since I was a Girl Scout I can't help on the boy stuff, but pretty much everything Quiltdivajulie said.
This was a fantastic idea and will be a great quilt when all is said and done!
Scouts Honor!!!
This is so fantastic! I'm going to show your picture to my Boy Scout leader friend. She may be tempted to try...
This will be an awesome quilt!
Love how your cousin studied and then dived right in. Super duper quilt!
Great idea and wonderful execution! You could look at Boy Scout Merit Badges with a Google image search. Lots of inspiration there.
All Boy Scouts are secret pyromaniacs! They love fire. I taught the textile merit badge. Don't know if they still offer it. What got them hooked into signing up was that they got to test for fiber content by doing a burn test on different fabrics. That and explaining textiles used for spacesuits. astroturf and ski jumps. Love the quilt. We're parents of 2 Eagle Scouts. Really proud of the one that got it done while Mom & Dad were living 1000's of miles away. No helicopters here!
This is a great quilt idea. I have been watching it take shape for a couple of months now. I think it is cool to use the 12 points of the Scout Law as a quilt top. I think the fire idea is a good one in addition to all the outdoor themes for blocks in between the words. I was thinking that the idea of using merit badge designs would be really cool for maybe a framework around the border. Also, for the backing I think something in an olive drab or khaki type color will work nicely. Maybe even cammo, but I am never able to find things when they are in cammo. I would be more than happy to help find just the right material to go along with the top. Great ideas and really neat idea for a quilt.
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions! I can't wait until I have time to work on this project again.....
LOVE it!!!!
Amazing first-time achievement for your cousin. Gwen, you went above and beyond the expected for a newbie. I know Julie is an inspiration and you are lucky to have her for a cousin. Trees are a great idea as there are so many different versions of trees available for quilt block designs. Good luck with your finish; it's going to be awesome.
Might be stealing this idea, not very scout-like, I know.
Post a Comment