Sunday, February 2, 2014

making valentine cards.....


Yesterday I punch out a bunch of hearts from magazine pages. 
I thought I would put them on painted playing cards. I went looking for them and couldn't find them. I don't remember tossing them, but it is possible.
Maybe they will show up some day.


Plan B.
I got out my Sizzix and punched tags from empty cereal, stuffing, cake mix boxes.
I had a stack, I cut until the stack was gone. I ended up with 30.
I wanted at least 21 for the first graders at school.


Time for paint. I used a sponge and started adding paint.
Dab dab dab. 
As one color ran out I poured a new color until all of them were covered in paint.


Time for the Mod Podge. 
Each tag got three hearts, 
the words DREAM BIG (I printed them),
and a strip of the black and white paper (from the shopping bag of a gift shop)


And, done.
With the front anyway.


Looking at this, I forgot one of my steps....stamping the swirl with ink.
I want to add names. But these kids are part of a trend to give your child a common everyday name,
AND spell it differently.
Beside having to spell out their last names, they will be spelling out their first names for the rest of their lives to make sure it is correct.
OH well.


Found this the other day. Needs fixing. 
Dang. 
Big sale at the quilt shop today. I think I am going over there for some shopping!











9 comments:

Karen H said...

They turned out great! Give them some candy, and I'm sure the kids will love them. :)
Have fun at the quilt shop. I hope you find some good stuff. I need a couple of things from Joann's, so will hit that today.

sophie said...

Maybe better that you didn't find those playing cards? These are adorable and I'll bet the kids will love them.

Have fun at the sale.

TLC said...

You have the COOLEST ideas! Hope the winter weather is subsiding.

Browndirtcottage said...

OH MY!!! What cuteness!!!! You sent me off to practice machine circles/bubble/pebbles last night and all the while you were in the paint having fun!!
Yes, I'm sure you were having a lot more fun than I was!! Are you going to tie those around a little bag of candy/cookies or just pass them out like cards??

Carol E. said...

I love those valentines! You rock, girlfriend!

Sharon said...

Fantastic valentines for the kiddos! They are so cute - what a great idea! You come up with the best ideas for cards.

Hope you found good stuff at the quilt shop. I just bought white fabric - necessary but boring.

Carol E. said...

Because you make such great cards, I am sending you this request:
When we were at the hospital waiting for MIL to recover from her stroke, we met a family who had suffered a terrible loss... all 3 adult sisters lost a daughter in a car accident. One of the sisters was driving. The 3 girls died, and the driver has been in ICU and in terrible condition, and is now in rehab, making progress, but slowly.

They are asking people to send her cards.. any time... any day... just hello "I'm thinking of you" type cards. Want to?

I'll send you her caringbridge page and address privately, but right now I can't remember what your email address is.


Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Hey, looks like my block. How did it get in your stash?

Tanya said...

I love the crafty things you do for your kids. Every year I think I ought to make Valentine's cards for my kindergarten kids... But will over 100 in one kindergarten and 50 in the preschool the best I can do is sign supermarket Valentine's cards that my daughter has sent me from the States...

Your tags are beautiful.