Saturday, April 5, 2014

my sister was here....


Jane was here last weekend. She brought along a cigar box she wanted to use as a treasure chest.
First some paint was added. Her favorite color is purple.


Based on a piece of paper, she wanted the paint added to recreate the look of the paper.
"light, medium, then dark" she said.
I didn't really notice this on the paper at first, but when you looked at it, that is what it was layered like. I learned from her that day....even though she thinks I am the one who knows everything.
HA! Not true.
We used stencils and stamps for embellishments.
She wanted mossy growth on it or.....Green paint applied with a sponge.


Paper was used on the lid and the inside.


It also needed to have an aged or old world look. So the whole thing was sealed up with mod podge and a few drops of brown paint mixed together. That seemed to do the trick.

She was SO happy with how it turned out! It is for a display at work to encourage people to sign up for some race/walk thing. I was too busy following her directions for paint and cutting paper that I never did quite understand what she talking about. 

In the middle of sewing the newest BLOCK LOTTO blocks. They are so spring like in color!
For the first time in a long time there is no mention of snow in the forecasts!!!
Maybe this is it, spring is here.






6 comments:

julieQ said...

Love that pretty box! It is just perfect...good luck on the block lotto!!

Karen H said...

The box turned out great! Very pretty. I need to work on more of the block lotto blocks. One thing at a time!

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh Oh! That is THE BEST cigar box I have even seen!!
Talent runs in the family!!

I must admit though I am disappointed for Jane to burst my bubble, I TOO thought you knew everything!
Just a simple hillbilly like the rest of us…..sigh….ha!

I REALLY like the Block Lotto this month. I should make some.

Uh oh, just had a wind gust here and it was FULL of dirt, but I am hopeful you guys are on your way to a 'real' spring!!

TLC said...

Amazing job on the box. I hope spring has really finally sprung for all of us.

TLC said...

Amazing job on the box. I hope spring has really finally sprung for all of us.

Sharon said...

Beautiful box! You done good. I like that "layered" look.

What - you don't know everything?? Oh, the disappointment! :)

I hope Spring is on it's way to you! We're having spring showers - mucho! We're supposed to have a dry day tomorrow - keeping my fingers crossed!