I am calling it finished. My Iowa tea towel became a bag. A nice big bag.
It will be my quilt show bag. Lots of stuff will fit in there. I said to Karen that if i fill it, it could get to heavy to carry. She told me that we can always walk back to the car and unload.
Of course, why didn't I think of that?
I wavy stitched over everything. Nothing fancy or new there.
I was worried that doing that would obscure the towel, but it didn't. I was relieved about that. I used things I had on hand, like the little house blocks. Nothing new there.
So what thing would be new to me in putting this bag together?
Using selvage edges.
I have never used them. I didn't even start saving them until recently. Most of mine have come from fat quarters. They were 18 inches. I needed to make them wider, so a column of the house blocks was added.
I stamped the words, Hey! Is this heaven? No it Iowa on some of the blank sections.
Then last night....
At the quilt guild meeting, a gal from New Ulm Minnesota came down to show us the buttons she makes. I bought the Minnesota themed button package and picked out the house one to use as a closure on the Iowa bag. Then I thought the house (kind of) went with the package and grabbed a flower instead.
My niece Amanda gave me her t-shirts over the weekend. I cut yesterday and have today yet to work on it. I have my doubts about it getting quilted before her graduation. But at least the top can be put on display at her party. Then sent off to be quilted.
13 comments:
OMG! This is fabulous. Love it!
The bag turned out great. So pretty, and so nice and roomy - perfect for the quilt show. And I'll bet you are glad to have your tea towel challenge finished!
Congrats on the finish! Making it into a bag was pure genius!!!
totally adorable and really the perfect finish for you tea towel!!! I may steal your idea and make a bag with the ones I did not use for the challenge!
How very clever of you my dear!!! It's cute! It's fun!
It's interesting! It's just plain WONDERFUL!!
A-N-D most of all, it's A FINISH!!!
I think you will love using this and it will catch many
an eye at the quilt shows!
I finished 'hand quilting' my butterfly quilt last
night! YIPPEE!! I too have a finish, well, sorta! I want
a gingham check for the binding and I don't have the right color……wah!
What a great bag, front and back. Love the little houses and nice straps. Enjoy using it.
Great bag, loved how you used the salvaged pieces!
Love the way you combined all of the works into your bag.
How did I miss this post??!
Your bag is darling and so clever! Love how you ended up using your tea towel - the bag is a great idea. There's no such thing as too many bags. Love the little houses you incorporated so cutely. Love the selvages too! How very smart of you to stamp in the blank parts! I may have to "borrow" that idea someday. hee hee! Good job!
Love it love it love it!! I wish I had half your artistic eye and talent.
That bag is wonderful!! Very nice job on all aspects of it. Especially love the selvages!
Great Bags!! It's two bags, isn't it?
I've not saved the selvage edges but the selvage bag....well, I'm re-thinking!!!
Hi Julie.
I love your Iowa bag. I hadn't heard of a tea towel challenge before but I love what you did with it. I'm a selvage saver and I just adore the look of selvages in quilted items. Hurrah for your first (and hopefully not your last) selvage project.
Marsha (quilterinmotion)
Post a Comment