Friday, July 4, 2014

some old, some new......


(Happy Independence Day! The flag with the snowman seemed fitting for today)


I was cleaning a closet out. These blocks were hanging in there. They are part of a BOM I bought years and years ago. It is called Winter Memories by Susan H. Garman...and the year says 2000!
Oh good heavens. This is old. 
All the patterns are accounted for, the fabric for them is still in the packets. This might be fun to start working on again. But first I will finish working on these blocks.....


They are made using Missouri Star Quilts video tutorial. 
It seemed like a good way to use a half-priced layer cake I bought.
I trimmed and squared up my pinwheels to 12 inches. Then cut them apart using the 4 inch mark on the ruler.


All the light background blocks are done. Just 8 more dark background blocks to go. It will be 6 blocks by 6 blocks when I finish. 



These are also getting worked on SLOWLY. They are the most confusing block I have ever made.
It was started years ago. It may take another several years to get it done.  But I love the way they look altogether. I don't know how many I will make, I hope a bunch more.

I had to make myself a life size cheat-sheet for the layout of them.


Then I lay the fabric out to match.


And then I sew the block together, double checking with each seam.


Here is what I have so far. These blocks are in Judy Martins book, 
Piece 'n' Play Quilts.
I'll continue to sew some up and then set them all aside again.

I just had a thought....I have two tops that I want to get pictures of....
we are headed north, for Duluth, today.
We plan on taking a short drive up the north shore.
What if I bring the tops along and get pictures in scenic locations??
Like on one of the big rocks that are up there along the shore??
I must remember to bring them with!!







3 comments:

sophie said...

What a hie bunch of eye candy ... and you managed to sneak a flag in there, too. The Judy Martin blocks are great. I love the way you have them laid out, with the backgrounds forming those vertical zig-zags.

Have a good trip and happy scenic quilt shooting.

Browndirtcottage said...

Well Happy 4th to you!! A little drive north sounds pretty good.

Those confusing double stars blocks are FABULOUS and your cheat sheet is genius!! Looks like you are getting a lot done. Summer would be a good time to work on those y-e-a-r-s old forgotten projects.

I think our thunderstorms are finally over so I can plug computer and sewing machine back in. YIPPEE!

Can't wait to see photos of those tops that went with!

Unknown said...

I love your double star blocks. I can see why they might be a bit tricky but you certainly solved that problem. Clever girl.