Thursday, March 17, 2011

preschool and no school.....

 I brought the spray paints to school yesterday. I wasn't sure how it would work...but had to try. I told them that this wasn't "preschool paint", it was the REAL thing and they had to be careful. In spite of that warning, I ended up getting sprayed in the face. I just cleaned the last of the green drops off my glasses.
Their little hands had trouble getting it to spray. Many techniques were attempted...... They tried using the first finger, the thumb and the "push with your whole hand" to make the paint come out technique.


 Then it was discovered that if they put the bottle right on the table and then pushed down the sprayer, all kinds of paint sprayed out. Well, to help hit the paper we took one of the drying racks and set it against a chair, right up on the table. They loved the dripping paint look. We have plans for our painted paper, but not until next week. We don't have school for the rest of the week.

So I am home today. Yesterday I saw this recipe....click right here ....there is a prune cake recipe..... I thought I had all the ingredients and I love prunes.
Well..... I had to improvise, which is probably why baking isn't my thing.

There weren't as many prunes as I thought, and I was down to one egg.
okay...make half a recipe. The egg was extra large so I figured it counted
for 1 1/2 eggs.
I used instant coffee, only I didn't read the recipe and added more
than it said.
There was no buttermilk, so I soured some milk with vinegar.
Then I could only find ONE of my beaters! Good gravy, I used the one
I could find.
The batter tasted pretty good before I put it in the oven.



It turned out pretty darn good, in spite of it's baker. The chocolate frosting is so good on it. Thank you Linda!
One more link.....In preschool (and here at home) we are watching a pair of eagles in Decorah, Iowa. There is a camera on them 24 hours a day. There are 3 eggs in the nest. It is really an interesting thing to see....we check in on the eagles through out the day to see how things are going....we are looking forward to seeing baby eagles.





2 comments:

Erika Jean said...

Good to know the spray bottles are hard for little hands! I just saw a recipe to make some paint like that and almost did it for the 3 yr old I watch!

Anonymous said...

As a former teacher, I love seeing what you did with the paint and the littles. A beepie block is b - p, bits and pieces, mostly way bigger than crumbs, so that didn't work for me.

Did you know that if you use finger paints on fingerpaint paper, and before it dries, you turn it upside down on damp regular art paper, it makes the coolest "impressionist" painting? We did that when we were studying Monet, before going to the Monet exhibit at the Phoenix Art Museum. I think it might work with plain watercolors, but you do need the slick finger paint paper.