Saturday, June 27, 2009

random squares







When I am not sure what to work on....I will work on these. It is a good way to clean up random strips, and small pieces that are laying around gathering dust. They go fast, I'm always amazed at the stack when I am done.
I straighten up the side I will be adding fabric to, and when they get so big.....I get out the handy dandy 6 1/2 inch ruler and square them up. The strips are somewhere between 1 and 2 inches wide. I don't pay much attention to value, or color or contrast....if it looks about right I sew it.
I wasn't even sure what I would do with these when I started.... so my stack grew and sat in the drawer.
Recently I made a baby quilt. I put his name on it and some other stuff.......it's at the quilter getting quilted right now. I found these to be the perfect border! I think I use about 32 of the blocks.
Last week my niece was here putting on binding. She made a quilt for that same baby. We took all kinds of pictures, but she hasn't sent them to me yet. The sound you hear are my fingers drumming on the desk.
Maybe I'll remind her again.....




1 comment:

Browndirtcottage said...

These are great!! I just love it when 'mindless sewing' can produce such wonderful results....did you paper piece these or free piece...I'm guessing free piece...that's what I usually do!!