Saturday, May 14, 2011

crayons in preschool....


For Christmas I bought the classroom a Crayola Crayon Maker.  Every chance we get, we have been making crayons with all the broken ones. We peel off the paper and I break them some more. The kids pick out 4 or 5 pieces to put in each tray. A light bulb in there melts them......


It is a big deal on who's turn it is to do the dumping. 
We have two hands turning the knob here, they decided they would share the job.
Next week, when school is almost done, we will sort them out. Every one will get about a dozen of these colorful crayons to bring home with them.


I brought home a couple of the smaller ones. There was some scrap paper on the kitchen table. I started writing the alphabet. I love the multiple colors that happen when drawing/coloring with these. 
I did the alphabet a few times and then I thought....
Hey, I can cut these apart and use the letters to make the names of the students for scrapbooking!


I'll have to make more letters when I get around to scrapbooking.
Who knows when that will be.

One more thing, a couple of the boys made pillows.....



I brought in some fabric for them to color on with crayons. Then I took them home to heat set them, and sew them into pillows. The boys stuffed them when I brought them back in.  They were so excited with the results. We could have made more, but these were the only two that showed interest.

Right now a big chunk of my spare time is been used making memory board type things. A gal I work with has triplets, & they are graduating next week. So, I am helping her get photos ready for display at the party.    
Eventually, I want to sew again too.






3 comments:

Erika Jean said...

wow! That crayon maker is so cool! I bet those kids are "accidentally" breaking crayons all the time! ;-)

Tanya said...

Julie, you are absolutely the most creative person I know. Making crayons! I love it! And the blended colors are so lovely. I wish I could stand by you and watch you work with your kindergarten students. I have a feeling there is a BIG difference between Japanese preschool teachers and American.

Karen H said...

The crayons are so cool.... and the photo of them is really neat. Wow.... I didn't know you were making pillows! Too bad the other kids didn't want to make one....