Saturday, July 14, 2012

Aunt Meta's things.....


A couple months ago, my mom asked tractor joe if he wanted the gun cabinet out of Aunt Meta's house. He said, "OK"
So when were up in Minneapolis, we went to her house to get it out. First we tried going down the stairs with it. To tight, had to bring it back up. I was ready to leave it.
But, NO, tractor joe wasn't about to leave it. There is a balcony type thing over the sunroom. We brought it out there. The plan was to tie it up and lower it over the railing. 
It worked pretty slick. We put it in the truck. Then off to my sister, Jen's house.


Late last summer we had taken this old ice box out of the basement at Meta's. We had no way of getting it home that day, so it sat in Jenny's garage all winter. It got loaded up on top of the gun cabinet. 


I am thinking of painting it and turning it into a bookcase. It isn't very deep. Wide books wouldn't work, unless you turned them so they were facing out. Right now it is out in the shed waiting for something to happen. 


While we were packing up the furniture, Jane said we needed some blankets to protect it.
She pulled this out of a cedar chest.
"here use this!"
I thought it was one of those tied, whole cloth quilts I remembered from youth.
(make face and gag, YUK)

But it wasn't. 



There were basket blocks on the other side. Now I have no idea what to do with it.
What do people do with old stuff like this?
Can the backing, batting and ties be removed?
The front seems okay, can it be re-quilted?





9 comments:

Karen M said...

It looks to me like the top is worth saving. You said it was tied. You should be able to get that ratty backing off and save the top. Of course, it is easy for me to say because I'm not doing it. I will be happy to cheer you on from afar. Good luck.

Elaine M said...

Wow, you are getting a lot of projects. It will be interesting to see what you do. The baskets are great. I'm sending you an Email on what I have done with old quilts.

Wendy said...

Taking off the top (if it's tied) and then reusing the top is fun. Right now I am working on one that is being turned into pillows for the great-grandchildren. I even ordered little tags on etsy with the original quilt creator's name on them to put in the side of the pillow. If there is damage to the quilt, you can put a layer of muslin before the new batting and quilt over it to mend it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely it can be used.

Remove the ties. Then lift the top from the backing (remove stitching around edges if necessary). Discard old "batting" and old back.

Treat the recovered top as you would a new flimsy, layering it with new batting and new backing fabric. Send it off to be long-arm quilted and you'll have what I call a "rescue" quilt.

I've done this several times and LOVE the results.

Gail in Vegas said...

Quiltdivajulie is right on with her approach. I've successfully done exactly as she described. This tops looks like it is worth saving.
Good luck!

Michelle said...

I definitely think you can requilt that top. And it's pretty enough to make it worth doing. Do you know who made it?

Grandpa had a gun cabinet just like that one -- when I spent the night, I slept in the den where it stood and that thing made me SO spooked. (Definitely was a different era, letting the ten year old sleep in the room with the rifle collection!)

Are you going to show us better pictures of the ice box>

Browndirtcottage said...

Good stuff going on at your place. That gun cabinet is sooo cute. I like that it is thin and tall yet looks petite, not bulky! It would be a darling bookcase!!

Lucky you and that old ratty tatty quilt. It's wonderful! Just snip those ties and get her some new batting and a back and it would be fabulous all gussied up! I wonder how old it is and I LOVE the colors, very unusual!

Can't wait to see the old icebox!!!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

woohoo, you scored! yes, you can take it apart. depending on how big the holes are from where it has been tied will have a say in how you refinish it.

YankeeQuilter said...

Really fun top! If you haven't taken the ties out yet you may want to wash it first. (it is difficult to wash a flimsey and not tear some of the seams or loose some of the seam allowance.) Like T said, if the holes from the original ties are large you may want to just tie the quilt using new batting and backing. (If you have already taken the quilt apart then wait until you have finished quilting or tying it before washing...email me if you want washing tips....)

ps...helped a friend turn a cabinet like yours into a DVD storage cabinet. Worked great!