Sunday, July 1, 2012

what I want to make, and what I want to finish up......


Gwen sent me this picture of a quilt she has finished. She layered a 6 inch square of denim from old jeans with batting and a backing piece cut 2 inches bigger. Sewed a simple X to hold it all together.
She sewed the blocks together with the back sides together. Then flipped it over and top stitched the backing fabric down like binding. A quilt-as-you-go technique.

I can't find the pictures she sent of her work in progress, a visual of what she did. 
I love this. I have SO many jeans set aside for cutting up. Some are already cut up...but I never had a plan for them.....Was ready to toss all of it as I was de-cluttering. Not anymore.
I was never sure how to use them.
I do now.

I am so excited.
But first I want to finish up some other things.
Like this top........


It is the last of the hearts I won at Block Lotto and flowers made using another block lotto block we made last summer. This is as far as I got yesterday. There are 4 more sections ready to attach the sashing and sew together like one big 9-patch.


4 comments:

Elaine M said...

Hearts and flowers look great together. Wonderful jean quilt. I have many old jeans, and would love to make this quilt. How are the corners sewn and folded where they meet?

Browndirtcottage said...

OK....stop being soooo productive!!!
I'm doing other things and here you are doing WONDERFUL quilty things!

Hey, weren't you supposed to be READING a BOOK?????

Browndirtcottage said...

I came back to have another look at that denim quilt. I think it's one of the cutest denim ones I've seen. It sounds like it would be pretty easy too. I have TONS of old jeans in the
upstairs closet, for years I didn't know what to do with them but thought they were useful for something.

I also like the patriotic fabric she used. Just too cute!

Sharon said...

Oh, your hearts and flowers are looking so cute! I'm gonna have to make those flowers one of these days.

Great jeans quilt! I made one very similar to that, but made it rag-quilt style. Clipping those seam allowances was a real bear. This looks much more finished, and probably easier too. Those denim quilts are real workhorses! Heavy, warm and practically indestructible.

I have lots more old jeans in the closet, waiting for me. The next jeans quilt I make is going to be more like Gee's Bend, I think. Just cut the legs straight and start sewing them together. It doesn't get any easier than that. Hopefully. ;)