I couldn't stand it.
I had to try working with old jeans.
I went into the closet looking for these jean blocks I had made years ago. They were abandoned, I wasn't sure I liked working with the denim. I thought I had made a dozen or so.
No.
There were 54 blocks ready to go for some thing.
Who knew I had that many.
In the closet was a box from my cousin Gwen. In that was a huge hunk of this green sheep fabric, and also in the closet were many many many batting scraps.
...or so I thought, I am actually running very low on batting scraps.
I started cutting it all up and sewing....
I made groups of two, then two 4-patches.
But wait, I didn't want too much bulk going through the machine on the right side of the needle, when top stitching the backing down. That is when I sewed these two 4-patches together.
Then took the rest and turned them into rows to add around the outside.
These are all sewn together now (no picture) and I will be able to add more rows to the outside of this.
I wasn't careful about the direction of the blocks or the sheep. I was worried at first,
oh oh what will this look like.
But I am really liking it.
When I run out of these blocks, I'll start cutting plain blocks. I have a ton of black jeans too. I am thinking that a checkerboard of blue and black around the outside would look cool. I am not sure how much sheep fabric is there...may run out and have to switch.
A work in progress. Thanks Gwen!!
5 comments:
Absolutely brilliant construction! Love it. The quilt looks wonderful and I am going to start cutting into my jean pile today.
This looks great! Don't you love finding a bunch of blocks ready to go?
I think I'm understanding now how these are sewn. I wasn't sure from your last post. Looks pretty easy, other than wrangling denim under the needle.
Can't wait to see your final photos!
are you using a heavy-duty needle to sew these? It will be a nice heavy quilt when it's done. Have fun! :)
How wonderful you found you had that many blocks already sewn. Wow, that's like being half done before you even get started!!
That green with the denim really softens the denim. I.LIKE.
I'm not a big fan of denim in quilts, but yours is looking nice. I'm eager to see it when done.
Visited Calico Hutch in Hayward, MN this week. Nice shop. Big. Have you been there?
Post a Comment