Wednesday, February 24, 2010

preschoolers color and paint....

Our preschool teacher was going to be gone on Monday. A good time to make a surprise for her and our classroom.
Over the weekend I cut 5 1/2 inch squares of muslin. Then ironed on 5" squares of freezer paper....(this made the coloring easier on the muslin.)
We are working on numbers right now.....I had these 4" inch stencils at home. I did the numbers 1-12 with a black crayon.
Their job was to.....

1. color the number with a crayon.
2. paint the fabric with plain water to get the square wet.
3. then paint the square and make it colorful.
I watered down the regular paint at school so it has a dyed look. Our water color paint is really used and has a "muddy" color to it, mostly the yellow. I had no idea if that would work well or not, but it did. We were able to get pure yellow and even pink that way. I brought them home and ironed all of them. Then trimmed them all to 5 inches square. I had some sparkly/glittery blue star fabric to use. (thank you Gwen) Since preschoolers are drawn to sparkly/glitery things I thought that would be perfect.
I took this picture as the sun was setting last night....thats why there are pins holding down the binding. If I wanted a natural light photo for the best color I needed to take the picture right now. The binding is the backside of the fabric...it matches, yet is different.
It is going to school with me today. Won't our teacher be surprised!!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

What a wonderful gift! I love the dyed look of the squares. Cute shaped numbers too!