Well I had that rope to cover....so I cut strips of it and started wrapping. I tried straight-of -grain first, then switched to a bias cut. I don't know if there really was any difference in how it wrapped. The strips were 1 inch wide....and about 22 inches long.
I curled the start of it, them sewed an X on it, this was to hold in place while I started sewing around and around. I would wrap and sew, wrap and sew. A clothes pin held the fabric in place.
It grew and grew. It's final size is about 12 inches across. I wanted to sew something else on that machine, so I figured it was at a good stopping point.
Then...
It didn't want to lay flat. It received a heavy dose of steam and heat from the iron and that seemed to do the trick.
Flat as a pancake!
It reminds me of the old braided rugs that my grandma had in her house.




3 comments:
oh, that turned out really cute! It makes me want to try it -- I'll have to find where I put my rope.....:)
I like your rope mat, where are you going to put in now?
That is adorable...and if you got it flat...you are good!! I'm working on a rug now, and it is anything but flat.
Post a Comment