
Amanda's pictures finally came. Last spring the 4H girls went to the quilt shop to make a quilt top. They all did the same rail fence pattern, but each chose the fabrics they wanted to use.
She knew this would be a baby gift and worked at making it gender neutral. (I had made a "girl" quilt, thus sealing the fate that the baby was a boy. More on that later.)
Since this was a 4H project that would go to the fair, she needed to do all the sewing herself. She wanted it done NOW, and as long it was "nicely" sewn, she could machine sew the binding.
I showed her how to cut, trim, press and sew it. It all seemed to take FOREVER. We had problems like....finding a matching thread color.
I dreaded hearing her say "oh oh" or "oh no"........and I had to find my seam ripper.
She also made happy noises too. She loved this quilt and wanted it perfect for the baby.
When the binding was all sewn and we looked it over....she didn't think it was perfect enough. The front looked great. The blue thread I had found looked just right..........but the back, the stitching was rather wavy.She was ready to start over.
I told her......
1...this is your first quilt and binding
2...you aren't that concerned about judging at the fair
&
3...Carter will not care, he will love it
Her Mom said the exact same things when she came to get her. So it is what it is........a quilt Amanda can be so proud of....even if it isn't "perfect".....
it is PERFECT.
1 comment:
You're right - it is perfect! And it's plain to see that Carter is already pleased with it. Amanda did a great job on her first quilt - must run in the family!
Post a Comment