Saturday, June 26, 2010

star blocks

These blocks are from Judy Martins book,
Piece 'n Play Quilts

While they are simple star blocks with a shadow and one dark side, one light side....
they had me really thinking and concentrating on what to sew and when....
if you do it right, there is no Y seam.
I only had to get the seam ripper out once....and when these four were done, I really thought I would NEVER do another. But never say never. These are 10 inch blocks. Slowly I will add to them and some day have a bed sized quilt. They are kind of cool. My pile of left 0ver triangles grew a bit too. I also managed to cut wrong....at least these four have given me practice. When I was tossing the triangles into the collection, I thought about wonky stars. Those don't take much thought. In no time at all I had enough made to make 6 blocks......
I recently bought a bunch of whites. They were perfect for this. Each block finishes at 6 inches...and I didn't have to think, just sew.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Both sets of blocks are great each in their own way - funny you've been buying whites :o))) I've looked at the top blocks and can't for the life of me work out how you can make them without a Y seam

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh wa..wa..wa...I LOVE those star blocks....do you really have to 'think' a little when you sew them??? HA! Well, you know I love stars, especially WONKY ONES!!!!

Tanya said...

You are sparkling! I have yet to try wonky stars. Yours are so nice!